July 29, 2010

To Donate or Not to Donate

I've had another request to donate a painting for a good cause. I'm flattered, of course, but I know many artists think donations cheapen our work. Usually the donated piece is raffled off for less than the cost of the matting and framing. Then there is also the challenge of choosing an appropriate piece to donate. Because it usually nets only about $50 in proceeds for the charity or fundraiser, I don't want to donate a painting that I might sell for over $300. But I don't want to donate a piece that poorly represents my ability as an artist either. And even my simplest paintings still cost a substantial amount to frame.

Right now I am starting a series of paintings on a theme for a future showing at the Elk Grove Fine Arts Center, so I guess I will turn down this request based on insufficient time. I can't put together a show if I keep giving away all my work. The school year is fast approaching, and I need to complete about six floral watercolors before it begins.

No comments: