June 23, 2010

Summer Painting

These long summer days certainly encourage my painting. I have done more painting in the last few weeks than I have in many years. Most recently I pulled out an old painting of some irises that I had removed unfinished from the stretcher board for some reason. After painting in the foliage background, I decided that the sky looked rather plain, so I got out my painter's tape and began painting in subtle stripes. It took some guts to start doing this, as it could have meant the demise of an otherwise promising painting. I actually felt kind of nauseous after doing the first stripe. But in the end, it really added some zip to the composition. It has the same kind of poster quality as my old favorite, the calla lilies. In fact, I sold it right after posting it on Facebook. Perhaps I should specialize in this flower/stripe composition.


One thing I should learn, though, is to paint to standard frame sizes. This iris painting will have to be custom framed, and, because of it's size, it won't be cheap. But that will be my buyer's problem as he chose to buy it unframed.

No comments: