May 4, 2010

Stand Back and Watch the Paint Move

Okay, I decided to force myself to work wet-on-wet. I'm painting an open rose, so after soaking and mounting my paper, I waited about ten minutes and then did the background. At first the edges of the lower rose petals were pleasingly fuzzy, and the "blooms" I created with water splatters were spectacular. But then the fuzzy edges grew and grew, consuming the outer petals entirely, and the blooms metamorphasized into giant amoebas. Suddenly it occurred to me that I needed a hairdryer in hand to stop the paint from moving once it reached a certain point. This is called trial-and-error. I suppose I should take a watercolor class so that I don't waste a lot of expensive Arches paper learning new techniques on my own. Don't wait to see the rose painting posted on this site!

No comments: